samedi 5 décembre 2015

Misdemeanors and Medical School - Encouraging Anecdotes

I wanted to make a thread for future applicants that may find themselves in a situation similar to my own. About a year ago I made a stupid mistake and wound up with a petit larceny charge. In the pursuit of anonymity I have made a new account for this, and I will not share too many details. I will say, however, that this is a theft situation that could be described as a "joke gone wrong." As far as the legal details go, I was charged, but not convicted, and instead placed on probation for community service until it is dismissed. In fact, I am still [technically] on probation, though everything is all sorted out.

In my subsequent panic after this idiotic mistake I naturally turned to the search function here on SDN. The results were not pretty. I am not trying to indict anyone in particular, but users left and right, pre-med to AdCom, 2005 to 2015 were effectively labeling the applications of those like me Dead on Arrival. The phrase "crime of moral turpitude" was thrown around as a hard and fast death sentence. I was terrified.

But I applied anyway. And like an honest person I disclosed this incident on secondaries that asked for it. Luckily, the details of my case allowed me to select "no" on the AMCAS question about misdemeanors, as verified by a lawyer. Where required on secondaries, I wrote about what I learned and why the decision was dumb.

To the future frantic searchers, I want to provide an anecdote that goes against the very bleak grain here on SDN with regard to misdemeanors and medical school. I have received 11 [MD] interview invites and attended 8. Of those, I have 4 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 1 hold, and 2 without notification. In the case where the school did not know about the incident from their secondary, I told them after I was accepted and my acceptance was not rescinded.

In short, there is hope if you have had an unfortunate run-in with the law, even if it was theft.

Here are my stats:
GPA >3.7
MCAT >515
ECs: about average on pretty much every metric

If you have had a similar experience, please share it here. I know that I would have appreciated it about a year ago.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Misdemeanors and Medical School - Encouraging Anecdotes

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire