mardi 29 décembre 2015

Dropping Out Of Pharmacy School For Alternative Option?

Hello,

I am currently enrolled in my first year of pharmacy school at a relatively respected institution. I have 4 years of undergraduate coursework completed and gave it a shot to apply to pharmacy school without my bachelor's degree... My undergraduate statistics include a 3.5 GPA as well as a very strong resume filled with community pharmacy experience as well as hospital experience and research, tutoring of Chemistry, working at various locations unrelated to pharmacy as well (I've worked non-stop since I was 16 years old, currently 24).

First, I'd like to mention that I chose to pursue this field since high school because I knew of some successful pharmacists that pushed me to follow their paths. At the time, I was in awe of their lifestyles and fancy cars, etc., and chose to study hard through undergrad. in order to gain acceptance to the pharmacy school of MY choice. I was successful...

Through the past couple of months, I have realized even moreso than I had already known, that this profession is a 'dying profession' and that there is an 'over-saturation of pharmacists'. When I shadowed pharmacists in hospital-settings as well as a community setting, I ignored pharmacists who told me NOT to go to pharmacy school due to the drastic changes that the field is exhibiting at the moment. Still, I decided to keep my tunnel-vision and push to be among those pharmacists who MAKE IT to where they want to be. However, I keep hearing now on a daily basis that new schools are bound to open up, etc. and I can't help but listen to some of what is being said. I understand that even after I graduate that I will potentially land a full-time position SOMEWHERE, regardless of whether or not I'm ABLE to actually be accepted into a residency-program. However, I would prefer to think that I could have the flexibility to move to a non-rural area in order to work and provide for my (future) family. The deadline to drop took without record of enrollment passed approximately two months ago and my Midterm grades suffered tremendously as a result of my lack of motivation for this dwindling field. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I would hope that you could respect and acknowledge that what I have stated include nothing but facts. In addition the terrible market that is bound to only get worse (http://ift.tt/1OYHIFy), the profession itself is changing due to all of these chain-pharmacies and due to the Affordable Care Act, etc. I'm starting to feel fed up and I'm not even a practicing pharmacist. In addition to THAT, opportunities to work outside of the USA (only for a couple of years to live abroad and have a change of life) are scarce for pharmacists... Salaries are low outside of the USA.

With approximately 30K in inevitable debt at the moment, I am considering dropping out. Part of the reason that I haven't until now is because I previously felt that I'd feel like I failed myself by leaving, but I now realize that my decision would simply be logical. My alternative choices are Chemical Engineering (I find the field prosperous and interesting with lots of potential) and I considered becoming a Physician or a Dentist as well. I understand that these are contrasting careers, so I'll be precise and mention that my primary alternative option would be Chemical Engineering.

During my undergraduate studies, I majored as a BS in Biology and completed over 130 units (had only a few courses left to graduate, but opted out to go to pharmacy school after acceptance). I am considering an attempt to transfer to a university that offers the Chemical Engineering major, but I fear that my grades during my first Semester of Pharmacy School thus far will hinder my chances. Regardless, I am not sure how much longer it would take to complete a Chemical Engineering degree based on the units and courses that I have completed at the moment (all GE courses completed, at least)... Gen. Chem. I, II, Org. Chem. I, II, Org. Chem. Labs. I, II, Calculus I, Calculus II, and so on.

I am posting on here because I have reached a state of confusion and depression. Friends convinced me that I was over-thinking it when I considered to drop out because I only need to worry about finding ONE position in the future that would provide me with my success as a pharmacist... But I am more interested in clinical pharmacy, which I'm starting to discover is really difficult to come across.

If anyone could please offer some advice regarding anything that I've posted, I'd really, really appreciate it. As for the cynical SDN-posters who are over-reactive and sarcastic, I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from posting as I am in a seriously tough situation mentally at the moment. Thanks in advance for your assistance during this tough time.

I look forward to hearing from anyone that could lend some advice. Thanks.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Dropping Out Of Pharmacy School For Alternative Option?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire