jeudi 10 décembre 2015

Does the public over-biologize mental illness?

Many organizations, such as NAMI, espouse the "chemical imbalance" theory because it is more profitable (I'm sure they are tied to the pharma companies). It all comes down to what increases profits for drug makers.

But I also think the public takes to these simple theories because many people value simplicity and don't like to think on a complex level. It also frees parents from having to take responsibility for their children's problems and having to change their parenting style ("He was born a sociopath...there was nothing I could have done as a parent!").

I think it is a win-win for pharma industry and families who find it convenient to blame one family member for what is often a dysfunctional family (obviously this is not always the case). NAMI holds lots of free workshops for parents with "troubled children" and they send the clear message that it is a "chemical imbalance" and has nothing to do with one's parenting.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Does the public over-biologize mental illness?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire