mercredi 16 décembre 2015

Do I still have a chance?

Based on my experience, applying to medical school requires 3 paramount things: Good GPA, Good MCAT, Good Extracurriculars (Leadership, Volunteering, Shadowing, Job in Healthcare, etc.)

If you are deficient in 1/3, it is usually easier to make up for the weakness in some way.

Weak GPA: Do more classes to raise it/ Go to graduate school / Show academic rigor in some other fashion
Weak MCAT: Retake the MCAT
Weak Extracurriculars: Get out there and get involved.

GPA is the hardest thing to augment, especially since you have 2 years of college under your belt. Even though you have had a difficult time in college and I am sorry you experienced these things, medical schools are looking for students who can make it through all 4 years and become a good MD.

When I applied to medical school, 3.5 was the "good" GPA number to have, and would get you into medical school if everything else was "good."

Notice I said "good," not "great" or "astounding." I Know people who have had decent/low GPA's (even as low as 2.9) who made it into medical school because they had a stellar MCAT score and were HEAVILY involved with medical extracurricular activities.

IN SUMMARY:
Nothing is impossible for you. Work on your GPA, knock the MCAT out of the park, and get involved outside of class. You may not be someone who jumps straight from college into medical school, and your road to medical school may be longer, but it is not impossible. Best of luck!

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Do I still have a chance?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire