lundi 30 novembre 2015

Can I utilize a patient letter?

Hey everyone, couple of questions. TLDR below.

So recently I had taken care of a patient (I'm a nurse) and her husband who was at the bedside the whole time sent my fiancé a very nice thank you email. I took care of his wife a total of three days and spent a lot of time in their room as she was in quite a lot of pain and they needed reassurance and guidance. I mentioned where my fiancé worked and he found her email and sent her a letter a couple of weeks later noting my compassion, patience, professionalism, and more. I've received thank you letters before but this one was particularly nice and touching. We don't often have patients reach out weeks later so it was truly just a wonderful thing to see and reaffirms why we do what we do.

My fiancé mentioned it to her dad who is a physician and has been involved in academic medicine and was at one point an interim dean / assistant dean (can't remember exactly) for a bit. He said I should utilize this letter in my application process. I plan on asking him more about this but I also wanted to ask here how this would be done. I've never been through the app process so I'm not sure where it'd be best if at all (obviously I'd leave off their names). I kind of hate to analyze this letter because I don't want to take away the personal meaning it has to me but if it can be helpful in this process and I can continue to help people in the way I did for them then maybe it isn't so bad to take advantage of this? And I'm not sure if this matters or should be indicated but the family is south american working class.

Also, as I'm compiling my LORs I'm trying to figure out what my best option for non science would be. My understanding is that since I'm nontrad and haven't taken a non science class in years I can get a work related LOR. So I think I have two options. The nurse manager (has a masters) who I believe would be supportive but probably not stellar as she hasn't actually seen me work much since I work mostly weekends. But perhaps she would ask my coworkers how I am and I know the majority of them would support me and have nothing but good things to say. Or a charge nurse who has worked beside me and been a nurse for 10+ years and already knows my intentions and is supportive of this. However she only has an associates in nursing and runs her own business on the side. Not sure which would be better but from what I've read on this site it seems adcoms care about the level of education of the letter writer. She would probably even opt for me to write a letter and then she would go over it and ok it.

TLDR: Received thank you email from patient husband noting my positive qualities, can and how should this be utilized in app process? Fiance's physician dad says yes.

Which LOR is better. Nurse manager with a masters, doesn't know me all that well, not even sure how supportive she'd be vs. charge nurse who has worked with me, really likes me, only has associates and runs a business on the side, knows my intentions and is supportive and would maybe even have me write the LOR and then she'd ok it or change what she wanted to change.

My 2 science LORs will hopefully come from an orgo professor and an anatomy and phys professor who says he will write a stellar one.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Can I utilize a patient letter?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire